- Maria O'Connor (2017) Uncanny Revolutions, Covering Tracks
Artist and philosopher Maria O'Connor writes a critical-poetic text in response to SINGULARITY's performance at Q Theatre, 2nd November 2016.
- Brown, C., and Nepia, M., (2016) Te Kore and the Encounter of Performance (eds) Colin, Noyale and Sachsenmaier, Stefanie Collaboration in Performance Practice: Premises, Workings and Failures, Palgrave MacMillan, 197-220.
- Brown, Carol (2015) City of Lovers (ed) Victoria Hunt Moving Sites Palgrave MacMillan, pp.199-222.
- Brown, Carol (2015) So, Remember the Liquid Ground (ed) Sarah Whatley Attending to Movement Triarchy Press.
- Brown, Carol (2014) Falling Together in SPECULATIVE STRATEGIES in Interdisciplinary Arts (eds) Jane Calow, Daniel Hinchcliffe and Laura Mansfield Underwing Press Read Article
- Brown. Carol (2014) Godwits, Kuaka and the Returns of Ausdruckstanz in Aotearoa (ed) Nicholas Rowe and Ralph Buck Moving Oceans: Celebrating Dance in the South Pacific Routledge, pp1-12.
- Battersby, Clare (2013) Must Watch Carefully 21 Mar TheatreView TheatreView Read Article
- Brown, C.M., Niemetz, A., Medlin, M., Scoones, R., (2013) Rest Sleep Wake: Soma-science scores for performing sleep Volume 5, Number 1, 31-45 Journal of Dance and Somatic Practices Intellect Read Article
- Brown, Carol (2013) the Insider-Outsider Status of the Artist-Scholar Volume 20, Issue 1, Spring Journal for the Anthropological Study of Human Movement University of Illinois Read Article
- Carol Brown (2012) Bridging the Distance Autumn Francesca Horsley DANZ Quarterly DANZ
- Maggi PHilips (2011) Dancing City - Traceries in Stone #103 June-July 2011 pg. 28 Real Time Arts Read Article
- Niemetz, A., Brown, C., Gander, P. (2011) Performing Sleep/Wake Cycles: An Arts-Science Dialogue through Embodied Technologies Number 2 Susan Broadhurst (ed) Body, Space and Technology Journal Brunel University Read Article
- Carol Brown (2011) Rivers of Song, Blood and Memories: Tongues of Stone in Perth December 2011 (35), pp37-48 BROLGA Read Article
- Brown, Carol (2010) Making Space, Speaking Spaces Second Edition A. Carter and J. O'Shea (eds) The Routledge Dance Studies Reader Routledge, pp.58-72.
An overview of current challenges for choreographic practitioners in negotiating spaces of and for dancing with particular reference to architectural forms of labyrinth, tomb and tower.
- Soudan, Jerome (2008) Sacrifice of Sound Les Arts Minis One More Than Nine
Composer and sound artist Jerome Soudan invited me to write something for his book based on our collaborative processes for Electric Fur and The Changing Room. I describe his process as a sacrifice of sound, cruel and tender, shuddering in nervous architectures we became etched with it.
- Brown, Carol and Ramsgard-Thomsen (2008) Dancing-Drawing Fields of Presence in SeaUnSea pp228-246 (eds) Dorita Hannah and Olav Harslof. Roskilde University, Copenhagen Performance Design Roskilde University, Copenhagen.
Could dancing a drawing be a way to create an ephemeral space? How can we find ways of drawing through movement using customised digital tools? Carol Brown and Mette Ramsgard-Thomsen discuss the process of creaing SeaUnSea a real-time dance installation premiered as part of Dance Umbrella 2006.
- Trubridge, Sam (2007) Beyond the Veil Winter/Spring 2007, Issue 30, p3-10, 8p Theatre Forum
The article discusses the collaboration between choreographer Carol Brown and theatre architect Dorita Hannah in the production of Aarero Stone.
- Lucy Bullivant (2006) Embodied Interfaces for Dance Responsive Environments Victoria and Albert Museum
Lucy Bullivant describes the work of Carol Brown and Mette Ramsgard-Thomsen, The Changing Room in the context of digital developments in architecture and the shift towards a more kinesthetic understanding of construction.
- Brown, Carol (2006) The Aesthetics of Smash and Grab pp.5-14. Liz Aggiss and Billy Cowie Anarchic Dance London: Routledge
- Claid, Emilyn (2006) Yes? No! Maybe: Seductive Ambiguity in Dance London: Routledge
Claid discusses the solo Ocean Skin and interviews Carol about The Changing Room.
- Brown, Carol (2005) Making Work for Our Time ChoreoForum Dance UK
When flesh meets data what dancing then? The question is a provocation. What kinds of choreographic practices emerge through the integrated circuitry of dancers and digital media? And what are the possibilities for the survival of theatre dance, that most economically fragile and publically marginal of all the arts, given the omnipresence of digital media and screen technologies? At the heart of this talk is the belief that emerging technologies can support new models of practice for choreographers without losing touch with our embodied selves and liveness. 'Making Work for our Time' and 'Making Time for our Work' was part of a day of talks presented by Dance UK as part of the Gulbenkian Programme.
- Brown, Carol (2004) Arteries and Avatars pp 39-51 Mary Brady Choreographic Encounters Volume 2 Cork: Institute for Choreography and Dance
Nomadic thought, matrices, and the writings of Seamus Heaney inform this account of the research and creation of The Changing Room.
- Josephine Leask (2004) It's Raining Dance At Dance Umbrella Flash Review
Brown Moves through the Changing Room of the Virtual and the Real at Greenwich Dance Agency as part of Dance Umbrella.
- Brown, Carol (2003) dance-architecture workshop
Isadora and Raymond Duncan Centre for Dance. 29 September - 5 October 2003
- Brown, Carol (2003) How we are Here: Afterthoughts on Te Pou Rahui. Unpublished article Read Article
- Brown, Carol (2003) sight lines/fault lines: Overwriting Perspectives Ehrlich, K. & LaBelle, B Surface Tension: Problematics of Site. Errant Bodies Press, pp.227-238
Thinking Moving Beyond the Box PARIP Keynote Address. Bristol University, September 14th 2003
- Brown, Carol (2002) Dancing through the Mediascape #19 pp.10-13 On Tour: British Drama and Dance Read Article
- Brown, Carol (2002) Dwelling Space Animated Winter 2002, pp 4-6
- Brown, Carol (2001) Tall Stories Dance Theatre Journal volume 16 no 4 2001, pp.20-24.
- Grant, Simon (2000) Body Talk April 2000, pp.32-36 Blueprint 171
- Leask, Josephine (2000) City, Space and Navigation 7.2000 pp.32-33. allett International/TanzAktuell
- Grilikhes, Alexandra and Brown, Carol (2000) Shelf Life: An Interview Nierika Editions, pp.4-15. American Writing 20
- Adair, Christie (1999) Resistant Revelations Volume 15, 1, 1999 Dance Theatre Journal
Adair discusses the work of Carol Brown, Wendy Houston and Liz Aggiss in the context of contemporary feminist politics.
- Summers Bremner, Eluned (1997) Talking Dance Women's Studies Journal Volume 13, 1 1997
- Carol Brown Migration and Memory: The dances of Gertrud Bodenwieser Dance Advance
This article was written after a visit to Australia and the Gertrud Bodenwieser Archive in the National Library, Canberra. It dialogues with the embodied legacy of Gertrud Bodenwieser and the remains of this as discovered in the archive.
- On Stage Vogue Italia N.605 2001, p.123